more letterpress practice

Okay, I know these fotos are sub-par in quality, but they do show what I was trying out yesterday in the printshop. I applied the last two layers of ink, an opaque light blue and finally, a dark blue. The image on the left is what I was starting with, the yellow and green (which was actually a layer of transparent blue) inks, and the image in the center is close to what I had planned in the first place, with the colors I was interested in and the use of/practice with opaque and transparent inks and, mostly, registration. This print is the second-best version of this plan and it’s clear I didn’t get it perfect. sad. The print on the right is pretty cool-looking, but not what I’d planned. A couple of things I do realize after this project: I should consistently use good quality printing paper; I think that my too-varied variety (lots of construction paper of different qualities and some very nice printing paper) precluded my getting just one good registration position because some of the paper stretched (I think) and messed me up. etc… Another thing is that I should prepare for the project much more thoroughly, from start to finish. Seems obvious, right?   Well, I’ll try. Anyway, I’m still pretty tickled, but I know I have a ways to go before I’m satisfied…

to catch the summer breeze

new curtain fabric

This image (which is blurry–I’ll replace it soon) is of my new curtain fabric; I dug out an old lino I’d used for a reduction cut handprint, and inked it up. I started by printing this fabric on the press, but it was just too much fabric and I started running out of time, so I just went ahead and printed it by hand (which still took some time, actually) and got adequate-plus results. I’ll run them up by the end of this long weekend, and they’ll be ready to brighten up the bedroom for the new week!

Here is the print that the design came from:

IMG_2244

My day’s results

This is the stuff going on in my scene: Here are the paddle fans I’m almost done with; this is what they’ll look like, mostly (I’m still figuring out the heart–a lino stamp, or a block on the letterpress, or maybe a cutout heart of other paper? hmm…). I’m pretty tickled so far, gotta say.

The two prints are from some letterpress practice as mentioned below. The purple one will be a book cover, I think. The blue and mustardy one I think can stand alone–I really like the accretion of ink and textures there and will pursue that effect some this summer.

IMG_3563

The little flower picture shows what I was treated to when I opened up the kitchen door this morning–Huzzah! The first poppy on that side of the house. Lovely!

my favorite Amendment!

graphic/type design, free speech postcards
letterpress printed postcards

I had a few extra minutes in the printshop yesterday and the type on the bed was for the First Amendment paddle fan I’m working on, so I quickly dug around for a few large letters and some cut-offs from the local university’s copy shop and got to it! It took a bit of time adjusting the spacing, but I find that, just a couple of weeks back in the shop, I’m getting faster and more accurate, comfortably.

Anyway, write on!

letterpress paddle fan

Here’s the project I worked on the other day in the printshop: I’m a First Amendment ‘fan,’ myself, so I decided to make fans for the group I spend the occasional noon hour with in front of the Courthouse, advocating for free speech and our political beliefs. Another proof reading is needed and I still have a couple of decisions to make about text placement on the back–a little higher?–and about what kind of heart, and what color, to stamp on the front. It should be done by the time it gets really hot.

IMG_7003

Here is the first batch of fans. They’re not quite perfect, so I’ll think on it (and see how they work) and figure out what approach I might be more satisfied with. Anyway, hoorah!

May Day

These are pix from the beautiful May Day we’re having: My sign from our peaceable and welcoming advocacy in front of our town’s Courthouse today, and our gorgeous poppy that just opened up. Justice and beauty, everyday!

 

back into the ink…

I’ve spent a few hours in the print shop of a local community college and have been, slowly, getting back into the print groove…It’s a very different feel from my woodworking classroom and it’s a real relief to be in a bright, spacious and sawdust-free workspace. It still takes a lot of energy and focus, but the reward is almost immediate and the ink smells like home.

 

printmaking classroom,  press furniture, Challenger letterpresses, Cherokee syllabary type

My last bit of work from my woodworking course…

Handmade, custom-designed desk and drawer. Blue and red and hickory wood.
Here’s Appaloosa and the little blue cube, together, as I intended. (Drawer face on desk still needed…)

Here is the desk set, in its right place. I love it and it works well here. It rolls along the floor well, too, and should be of service all over the house. Nice. This is the last project from my woodworking course. I learned a lot over these two years and, once I catch up on my sleep, I will start looking for a way to continue to make large wooden objects.

‘Appaloosa’

Appaloosa_nearly finished!
The table’s done except for a missing drawer face. The holes are for s-hooks and other hanging tools. The drawer is for pencils, etc, so it’s cool that it’s so shallow. Because of the coloring and how I did the legs, I’m calling it “Appaloosa.”

Here’s my table, just about ready to roll on home!