print to fabric

These are samples of designs I had printed to fabric last year, both created from prints I did. The one on the left was based on a monotype and the one on the right was based on a reduction cut letterpress print. (I used the blue fabric to cover chair cushions on my chair project last year; I called it “Shop Class.”) I photographed the prints for digital files and then used the fabric printing service, “Spoonflower” to print out yardage. The images above are what the samples looked like when I ordered. (I really like the results, but because I could afford to only get a yard of each, I haven’t found anything to do with the fabric, beyond the cushion cover.)

My last bit of work from my woodworking course…

Handmade, custom-designed desk and drawer. Blue and red and hickory wood.
Here’s Appaloosa and the little blue cube, together, as I intended. (Drawer face on desk still needed…)

Here is the desk set, in its right place. I love it and it works well here. It rolls along the floor well, too, and should be of service all over the house. Nice. This is the last project from my woodworking course. I learned a lot over these two years and, once I catch up on my sleep, I will start looking for a way to continue to make large wooden objects.

‘Appaloosa’

Appaloosa_nearly finished!
The table’s done except for a missing drawer face. The holes are for s-hooks and other hanging tools. The drawer is for pencils, etc, so it’s cool that it’s so shallow. Because of the coloring and how I did the legs, I’m calling it “Appaloosa.”

Here’s my table, just about ready to roll on home!

the first part

IMG_6993

Here’s my little rolling cart, finished. It will roll under a work-desk to provide the drawer and cabinet. I still have a little adjusting to do on one of the hinges, and it’s not the color scheme I’d originally intended, but it’s still super cute and rolls sweet and easy.

one more try!

3-legged plywood chair

Here’s my third chair for the semester. A couple of classmates made three-legged chairs this term, with spoked legs (I’ll try those next semester!), and so I wanted to try the three-legged chair form, myself. I got the design from the book Ply Design by Phillip Schmidt, a great resource. By the end of this snowy day, I’ll have drilled a couple of more holes and put this flat-pack chair together!

‘Shop Class’ at home

Okay, chair #2 is finished and resting comfortably at home. The finish was a little more complicated than I’d planned, but turned out just about right. First, a coat of grey stain, which was too close a match for the fabric, so I sanded a lot of it off. Next, a coat of aqua stain, which was too fussy looking, so I sanded most of that off and covered it with a sparing coat of the grey, again. Final coat, wipe-on poly. Overall, it looks good, is a surprisingly comfortable seat and I learned a lot. I’m glad I chose to do two very different kinds of chair (this one, ‘Shop Class,’ and ‘La Piña’) and am already thinking about trying one of them again in the spring; I still have plenty to learn and plenty to express and the second try should go a lot quicker.

La Pina!

It’s done! Huzzah!

Imperfect, but beautiful–and it sits nice! I’ve learned a lot during the process of designing and building this and I’m already planning another special chair for next semester using what I’ve learned…

I’m pleased with the finish I devised for the ‘leaves’ of the chair: I made a very dilute yellowy-green solution of milk paint, sparingly applied one layer and then applied one layer of wipe-on poly, which darkened it slightly. The seat and legs are finished with Watco Danish finish, which I use a lot because you can still feel the wood after it’s applied. The seat back is cypress and the seat and legs are hickory.