I got to lead a book binding class this last weekend and it was a bunch of fun! I hadn’t done much book-making for some time, so I introduced a few fairly basic styles that can be done at home with no special equipment and with very accessible, inexpensive materials. The participants were game and we all accomplished quite a bit! I introduced them to the proof press, too, so we added another realm of possibilities to the pursuit. And, I got use a lot of my old prints. So, all in all, the participants got a good taste of book art and I got a good reminder of what fun book-making can be and of its potential for art-creation. A good experience on a beautiful weekend!
This is a very brief shot of the weird light and wild life going on just on the other side of the bedroom window where I planted tithonia this summer for privacy. Along with creating a screen of green, the tithonia is hosting a non-stop pollen party!
Here’s some more stuff for paddle fans–this one promotes environmentalism, environmental awareness and climate change awareness. I’m planning on adding another layer of leaves to the foliage and trimming the sheet like the brown one in the upper left. The wooden stick will be the ‘trunk.’ Several of the typefaces I have to choose from are pretty beaten up, but I think that’s okay…it fits in with this message pretty well.
(Also, maybe I should add: the paper is cast offs from a local print shop, most of the sticks are re-used and the ink is hella old…I’m trying to make the most use of materials on hand…)
Here it is, “bust/Old Man Face,” and I’m pretty pleased with the results. My registration is spot-on about 90% of the time, which is fabu, at least for me, and I got some good subtlety in the colors. I will frame a couple of them and then prolly trim down the others for book cover material for a book binding class I’m scheduled to instruct next month. Sweet!
Here are the prints as I worked on them: On the upper left is the first layer of this reduction cut (or, the second layer on some prints where I printed the inked-up block as a background, first). Next, is the 2nd layer and, because I’m trying to learn from my mistakes, the registration is much better (so far) than on other recent projects. I experimented with transparent colors on this to see what kind of effects I can get. Second row left is the result of an application of a transparent yellow; it’s a little hard to see, but there is a clear layer of gloss apparent. Finally, I put on one more layer of transparent color. Look what happened! It’s a layer of transparent purple over the transparent yellow–I love it! I’m hyped. And, amped.
I spent a bunch of time in the printshop yesterday (yay!) and finished up the printing on my next set of paddle fans, “Pyramid of Power.” I made them with cutoffs from the local university’s print shop; the shop is always happy to give stuff away rather than to pulp it. This coated card stock works great for fanning and picked up the ink pretty well. Clearly, the type I have access to is pretty beat up, but it’s working well for my intent. I’m now looking for some American flag stickers to put in the lower right hand corner to fill that empty space. These are for the Fourth of July, but are also for every day that citizens need encouragement to believe that we have what it takes to make the nation of our ideals.
Hey, here are a couple of t-shirts from one of the participants in the silkscreen t-shirt sesh I held the other day… It was good fun and everyone there seemed to learn something edifying. It was rewarding to see everyone find something that they were interested in trying, and the results, well, they speak for themselves!
From the interview page: A New York-born conceptual artist and MacArthur “genius” grant recipient, Wilson has spent a lot of his career examining the way art and artifacts are chosen and exhibited. He wants everybody — the curators and the visitors — to reconsider how and why artwork makes its way into museums.
This is the image I practiced with yesterday on the proof press. The one on the left is good (!) and was what I was going for. But, as the other two prints show, I still need more practice: The middle one isn’t the worst one I did, but I think a sloppy insert to the clamp before rolling skewed it just enough to preclude a clean print. The one on the right was even more sloppy, but I trimmed off the edges so some of the ‘slide’ is gone and I think is less obvious. It’ll be a postcard, so that’s okay. Then, since I had the ink on the rollers, I made a couple of postcards: